Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A lack of courtly wisdom

On the subject of Sarah Palin's apparent inability to name one Supreme Court ruling other than Roe v. Wade, this post from Michael Tomasky is more than a little devastating.
This is insanity. I understand that there are people who don't think it matters that a candidate knows anything about American history. If she's "like me," that's enough. Well, I'm sorry, but if she's "like you" and you can name only one supreme court decision from all of history, then that's not enough to be the vice-president and help run the country, and I'm not an elitist for saying so.
I mean, she couldn't recall Plessy v. Ferguson or Brown v. Board of Education? That's approaching "are you smarter than a fifth-grader?" territory.

Maybe, just maybe, Thursday's debate will put an end to this charade.

3 comments:

John P. Araujo said...

In an odd, rubber-necker sort of way, I'm going to be watching the veep debate to see whether the country bumpkin or the human gaffe machine fumbles first - or fumbles worst. Should still be very entertaining in any case. The second-guessing going on about both veeps makes you wonder about the so-called "vetting process". It's interesting that, given the time that both presidential candidates had to think things through in their selection of a running mate, Biden and Palin were the best they could do. There's gotta be a better way of doing these things, I think.

blackink said...

I think it's here that we depart, JP. I don't have much problem with Biden.

I think the only ones second-guessing Obama's veep pick are the PUMAs, Hillary holdouts and Billary.

Palin, now. Hmmm ... I'm not sure that she deserves to be onstage Thursday.

John P. Araujo said...

Hm. I guess we do part ways here. I have a problem with both running mates. Both presidential candidates were talking big about reform and "shaking up Washington", and yet Obama picks an old school Washington-crowd politician while McCain goes with a new generation Dan Quayle. When the chips were down and they made their choice of running mates, both went with the knee-jerk response and picked based on the so-called "conventional wisdom" rather than who REALLY would "shake up Washington". "No guts, no glory" as the old saying goes. Well, like I said, the veep debate should be entertaining nonetheless; and both presidential candidates will see for themselves what kind of person that they have in their respective running mates. Fortunately, I just bought a big ol' box of popcorn from my nephew's Boy Scout fundraising sale. ;-)