Saturday, June 27, 2009

June 27

Homage must be paid to another influential musical icon today: the late DJ Screw.

For those who don't know, or aren't all that familiar with the Houston hip-hop scene, June 27 is the name of a legendary Screw freestyle session and mixtape. June 27 was also the birthday of D-Moe, one of the couple handful of local artists from the Screwed Up Click to flow over the 35-minute track.

Hard to believe, but this really means something in H-Town. Even today. I can't explain it to you. You simply had to be there.

Here's Part 1:



Also, here's Part 2, Part 3 and Part 4.

Growing up - I can't lie - I was not a big fan of Screw. In fact, I openly mocked the music and its fans - which included most of my friends at the time. I was more of an East Coast hip-hop head: Biggie, Nas, Wu, The Roots, Mobb Deep, KRS, Jeru, etc. By comparison, I thought Screw and the SUC were unsophisticated and primitive, music for morons.

But I'd like to think I'm much more diplomatic than that today. If anything, the music has earned a permanent spot in my heart: I remember hanging out with my boys, listening to this very track and taking our turns in the cipher. And I was awful - almost every verse started with "I'm coming through..." and I'm sure I made some mention of niggas or candy paint.

Those were the days.

In the end, Screw was impossible to escape. And I'm glad he didn't let me get away.

No comments: