Friday, November 7, 2008

A great mystery

Does anyone else out there remember - vaguely, at the least - a televised 3-on-3 celebrity basketball tournament in Hawaii that was shown around midnight (Central time) in the early 1990s?

I can only remember a couple of stars from the tournament - Magic Johnson, right after his first retirement from the NBA, and Jaleel "Urkel" White, who was actually a pretty decent baller. I think Flex, the comedian, might have played in the league, too.

On Sunday nights as a kid, I pretty much always fell asleep with this tournament on my black-and-white TV (no remote). It came on after "Northern Exposure" reruns and before whatever it was that Byron Allen was doing for an hour.

For some reason, I thought of this the other night and it's killing me because I can't remember any other details. Does anyone out there know what I'm talking about?

UPDATE: Ever the hoops fan, Urkel apparently contributed to an NBA.com blog. Not sure if that's an updated link.

UPDATE 2: Speaking of mysteries, how has Byron Allen managed to keep his little slice of TV time for this many years? Byron Allen is like the Julio Franco of entertainment, I tell ya. A modern marvel.

No comments: