Sunday, November 2, 2008

Rock for Obama

It's worth wondering why Chris Rock wasn't offered or interested in taking the slot given to subpar comedian D.L. Hughley on CNN.

Was it the strait-laced constraints of cable news? Was there not enough money on the table? Are there other projects in the works?

Anyway, Rock made a stop in Tampa on Saturday to stump for Barack Obama. Apparently, it was free. The First Lady and I missed it and, as a result, I'll probably be sore about this for awhile. Well, at least until Tuesday evening.

Rock, as of late, has been on fire. Here's a couple of samples:

"When you go to somebody for help you want somebody who can relate to what you have to say. Like, if I have problems getting laid, I wouldn't call Brad Pitt 'cause he wouldn't know what I was talking about."

"... McCain was on MTV's Cribs 15 times. This is not the guy you want to be president ... McCain probably had financial problems too, but we can't all do what he did. We can't all dump our first wife, marry a rich one and have all our bills paid."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you read my mind on this one! i saw the DL thing and i was like, um, he really isn't all that funny. chris rock would be a great fit there, but he's too controversial for CNN.

blackink said...

Yeah, I'm sure Chris Rock couldn't really get loose on CNN the way he used to on HBO.

I almost feel bad for DL. You can see the wheels churning in his head as he tells another terrible joke. This just isn't his best platform.