Wednesday, February 18, 2009

What's playing in my deck

I put together a helluva road mix CD for my weekend trip, if I say so myself. It was just a reminder that somewhere deep in my iTunes, I've got some good music.

I'll need some it this morning to get through Hump Day, for sure:

1. Tainted by Slum Village featuring Dwele.

2. I Can't Help It by Michael Jackson.

3. You Will Rise by Sweetback.

4. I Wish by Skee-Lo.

5. 24 Hours to Live by Mase featuring The Lox, Black Rob and DMX. No lie, I probably played this song about 50 times in the first two or three days after I heard it. This was my joint in college.

Speaking of Mase, I found the following YouTube video with a voiceover from someone who seems to be Cam'ron. I'm still trying to figure out if this thing is a hoax:



More later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine from Michigan turned me on to Slum Villa. Trinity is classic. Dwele was also good, on "Tainted" and on Kanye's "Flashing Lights."

R.I.P J Dilla. He wasn't as involved with SV by this point, but still.

Can't go wrong with MJ, I don't care what he does to his nose. He needs to come back just long enough to remind everyone that he's still one of the best singers ever. Def a weirdo, but he can sing.

I wish I had a girl who looked good. I would call her.

Can someone tell me what happened to Black Rob? He came on crazy strong, and then couldn't stay on. I'm thinking the same thing happened to Rampage aka the Last Boy Scout. Cats fell off. Like whoa.

blackink said...

SV was hella nice. I think I first heard them on the Common joint, "Thelonious." In a way, they sorta reminded me of Little Brother. I have, like, three of their albums. All of them are solid.

As for MJ, I just think time has passed him by. He caught bottle in a lightning, in a way. It was just the perfect time for the hellstorm he and Quincy Jones unleased on the music industry. Heads wasn't ready for "Off the Wall." But now he just can't readjust his game. He needs the musical equivalent of the Jordan fallaway.

And Black Rob, I'm just guessing he can't stay out of the clink. That dude has been seriously underrated, at least according to these ears. His debut album was hella nice. I thought too many people slept on it, with the exception of "Whoa." He could def spit fire.