Sunday, May 24, 2009

Rain, go away

With my parents set to arrive in town Tuesday, I'm hoping the string of thunderstorms that have settled over the Tampa Bay area for the past week are ready to move on. The Weather Channel's forecast for the next 10 days does not inspire much hope.

That's just life in Florida from May to August. But nothing is going to keep us from the beach.

Anyway, to chase away those gathering storm clouds over my dome, I came up with a list of my five favorite songs about the rain. Enjoy:

1. I Wish it Would Rain by The Temptations.



2. Rain by SWV.

3. In the Rain by Xscape (I probably would have gone with the original by The Dramatics but there wasn't a decent video or audio recording available).

4. Can You Stand the Rain? by New Edition.

5. The Rain by Oran Juice Jones. (I'm very, very upset that this video couldn't be embedded, by the way).

Until then, you know what you gotta do? You gotta get on outta here with that alley-cat-coat-wearing, punch-bucket-shoe-wearing crumbcake I saw you with. Cause you dismissed!

6 comments:

Max Reddick said...

Damn good list. I'm waterlogged here in Jacksonville, too. My kids are going stir-crazy and beginning to say and do completely inane things. Today they inhaled helium and sang show tunes for an hour or two even after I warned them of the consequences, and now they are laid out complaining about massive headaches.

blackink said...

Lol. Cabin fever will do that to you. It's funny: I have a friend who's spending the weekend in St. Augustine, and they were supposedly enjoying some good beach weather. Shouldn't you all be sharing the same storms?

And no matter what, I force myself into the rain. I will not be forced inside. No.

G.D. said...

The Boyz II Men a capella version of "Can You Stand the Rain" is actually superior to the original. (they sung it to Biv; that's how they got signed.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCVIqHkOHr0

blackink said...

Ah, very nice. I have to agree.

But, you know, BIIM - collectively - had more vocal talent than New Edition, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Johnny Gill couldn't do it all on his lonesome.

G.D. said...

them mofos are still touring, too.

(my friend said they give a great show, too, bad hips and all.)

Jack T. said...

BI, no "Nights Like This" from the Five Heartbeats? The word "rain" isn't in the title of the song, but it's right after. One of my personal favorites.

I agree with G.D., but I have a soft spot for the original too.