Friday, June 5, 2009

Bad tee-vee and worse understanding


Craig T. Nelson: making big dumb Dauber look like a genius. But Glenn Beck seems to have that effect on people:

"What happened to society? I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. I've been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No. No. They gave me hope, they gave me encouragement, and they gave me a vision."

I don't think Nelson understands where food stamps or welfare come from.

Also, since I hadn't seen, heard or thought of Nelson in quite awhile, it reminded me that "Coach" had the distinction of being one of the least-entertaining shows that I regularly watched as a child.

Here's a quick list of the five shows that were the background noise in my childhood bedroom while I was (supposed to be) studying:

1. Blossom - the all-important bridge between "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" and "Monday Night Football."
2. Herman's Head - came on right after "Married With Children." That's about all it had going for it.
3. Empty Nest - really, what else was I going to be doing on Saturday nights as a kid?
4. Boy Meets World - I sorta had a thing for Topanga. She was kinda thick.
5. Silver Spoons - even Alfonso Ribiero couldn't make this show entertaining.

Ok. That is all.

4 comments:

Jack T. said...

Topanga got mad thick when they got to college age. I also thought the tall redhead they added late was kinda alright.

I had a mad crush on Blossom. Still tryin' to live that down.

blackink said...

I won't judge you, Jack. No lie: she wasn't terrible or anything.

And good call on the redhead. Also, I think it was his friend who pulled a nice sista too. They just started "flooding the zone," so to speak, on there in the college days. But "Saved By the Bell: The College Years" went in the opposite direction, for instance.

You know, on the real, Six got some dangerous curves a few years later. Tell me I'm not the only one who peeped that.

Jack T. said...

Not at all. Six is well aware of the fact that she has a nice butt. I think I saw her on VH1 saying she's not fighting the attention.

The sista from Boy Meets World is a good call. One of the most underrated additions to that show. I don't really care for Joey Lawrence's bother.

Neither holds a candle to Theo's girl Justine or to Ashley from Fresh Prince, but that's just my opinion.

blackink said...

Ah, Justine. AKA as "Myra" on Family Matters. RIP. She was definitely top-notch.

And don't even get me started on Ashley Banks. That's a whole 'nother post.

http://falsehustle.blogspot.com/2008/09/teenage-love.html