Sunday, September 7, 2008

Taking off those training wheels

It's good to see the Republican leaders have agreed to take off the training wheels for Gov. Palin. About time.

But when she finally sits down with ABC's Charlie Gibson, I hope Palin refrains from repeating the flat-out lies that she opposed earmarks and was against the infamous "Bridge to Nowhere." She should stop this. Pronto.

Hilzoy at Obsidian Wings breaks down the stakes of Palin, and others of her ilk, thwarting the political process with outright falsehoods:

When politicians lie -- and here I mean not just putting the best spin on things, but out and out lying -- they might as well walk up to each and every one of us and say: Hello! I have no respect for the value of your time! You might have other things to do -- work, playing with your kids, taking a long hike in the mountains, whatever -- but I don't care. I'm going to put you in a position where you're going to have to research everything I say, or else just give up on your civic duty. You don't get to assume that my words are, if not exactly true, at least somewhere in the general vicinity of the truth, and decide whether or not to vote for me. If you want to be an informed citizen, you'll have to become obsessive, like hilzoy.

They might as well add: I have no respect for democracy. In a democracy, citizens listen to what each side has to say and decide who to vote for. To work, it requires that what each side says bears some resemblance to the truth. If I cared about democracy, I'd respect those limits -- maybe stretching the truth every now and then, but generally maintaining some sort of relationship between what I say and reality. But guess what? I don't care about democracy! If winning requires that I make things up out of whole cloth and hope that I'm successful enough to frustrate the popular will, then that's what I'll do. Don't like it? Think democracy is a good system, one that we should cherish? That's just too bad.

No comments: