Saturday, September 26, 2009

Player's Ball

For those handful of people who were reading this blog in its earliest days on the Wild Wild Web, I have a treat for you or something you will ignore altogether. There really is no middle ground.

Though you might not have noticed, I am a huge sports fan. Huge. I can understand why you might be confused since I blog here at False Hustle about as often as I shave these days.

Anyhow, I'm going to restart weekly feature that I once uncreatively dubbed "Sports Saturday." It's just a short roundup of sports links that I've been compiling throughout the week. Nothing too special.

Hope you enjoy:

1. Though I realize empathy is unpopular in some precincts, I can't help but feel sorry for Plaxico Burress. "'He will be separated from the inmate population at all times and confined to a single cell,'" Foglia said. He'll only get out for three hours of recreation per day, plus his required meetings with counselors and medical and mental health staffers. He's allowed three showers a week and one visit per weekend, Foglia said. At 11 p.m., it's lights out." As PB blogmate Universeexpanding pointed out, three showers a week seems particularly inhumane. I can't imagine the reason why inmates are limited to a shower about every other day. ... Also, this story raised an interesting discussion between me and an old prosecutor friend. In short, he thinks Burress' sentence might act as a form of deterrence. I'm not so sure that I believe in the theory of deterrence. And as we already know, I'm already peeved at the thought that prosecutors worked hard to make an example of Plax.

2. Amanda Hess points out a The Washington Post item that recently asked its seven resident football bloggers to consider whether cheerleading should be disbanded because of its misogynist roots. They had something less than progressive responses. ... Since you all don't know me, you'll have to take my word for it: I've always told the First Lady that I would strongly discourage my unborn daughter from being a cheerleader. I'd much rather she be an athlete than root for one.

3. The best college football player of the past decade is ... Matt Leinart? Hmmm. Maybe. But any of the following is acceptable: Tim Tebow, Vince Young or Reggie Bush. I would even add Darren McFadden into the mix.

4. No matter what happens from this point forward, I hope Michael Beasley is getting the help that he needs. Rehab or no. At the least, sounds like he needs a better p.r. agent.

5. If you want to know why the Oakland Raiders have won fewer games than any other NFL team (even the Detroit Lions!) since 2003, this story is as good an explanation as any.

6. So, Zabeth's Corner thinks Khloe Kardashian is sending a strong message to all those baby mamas out there with her impending nuptials to NBA star Lamar Odom: "She's playing her part right. She's making him marry her and, has decided to opt out of the role of baby mama as baby mama and wife are not synonymous." This is so silly. As if getting married and becoming a wife after only a few weeks of dating is indicative of some sort of virtue. Kardashian is "making" Odom marry her. Well, I guess everything will turn out alright then, huh? (h/t Booker Rising)

7. Former boxing champion Evander Holyfield, who has suffered through a number of financial difficulties in recent years, is putting his money into a solar energy farm. Uh ... g'luck with that.

8. Legendary street brawler Kimbo Slice will get his chance to fight in the UFC after all.

9. Tasteless.

10. And finally, a link to a good Washington Post story about formerly troubled, ex-NBA point guard Kenny Anderson. When I was a kid, I told friends that Anderson was my cousin and when I played pickup hoops, if I ever made a nice crossover, I'd almost always yell "Kenny A!" as I drove to the hoop. So it should go without saying that I wish him well.



Burress pic via Smoking Gun.

post-script: Is that title too corny? It's never too late to change.

No comments: