Friday, January 16, 2009

So much beauty in the world

Not American Beauty. I'm talking about the 2008 Weblog Awards.

Andrew Sullivan's The Daily Dish took the top prize and, given his tremendous work over the past few months, I have no problem with that.

Going over the list of nominees, I'm reminded of the way I felt as a child when I watched Barry Sanders dart around the football field. I considered myself something of a special football player, so I feverishly tried to figure out what Barry was doing that I couldn't do.

Ridiculous, no? He was a future Hall of Famer; I was a kid whose athletic flame was destined to be extinguished at 20.

In the end, I just felt frustrated. Some people are just better, and that's that. And in the blogosphere, as on the gridiron, the talent pool out there is tremendously deep.

It's extremely humbling.

2 comments:

maria said...

thanks for this. i intend to check some of these out.

going over the list i have a different reaction than you (no kidding, sports AGAIN lol). i realize i am so out of it having never heard of any of these except sullivan.

eyes, opened wider.

blackink said...

No doubt.

I started in on "driftglass," for example. And I was reminded to return to "field negro," too.

The blogosphere, pretty much, is infinite. It's hard to believe that there was ever a time when I didn't read blogs. I mean, this was as recently as two years ago.