Sunday, October 19, 2008

The incomparable B-Hop

It's easy to say after the fact, but I can't ever imagine Bernard Hopkins taking an ass-whuppin from anyone. Especially Kelly Pavlik.

“I’m tired of proving myself,” Hopkins yelled toward the reporters seated ringside.

Indeed, he entered this fight as an underdog, with many people calling the upstart Pavlik the next big thing in boxing. But after 12 rounds, it was clear that Pavlik did not have enough experience or skills to beat Hopkins, the former undisputed middleweight world champion.

“Ninety percent of the media picked Pavlik and I always appreciate naysayers,” Hopkins said. “That’s what motivates me.”

Ignoring Hopkins' cliched spiel about the media, it's remarkable to think that the 43-year-old fighter has never really lost decisively since a 1993 title bout against Roy Jones Jr. Since that match 15 years ago, Jones has become something of a shot fighter and Hopkins has remained a viable championship contender.

I'll always believe the Roy Jones Jr. of the mid 1990s was the best fighter of my childhood but Hopkins - The Executioner - will probably always be my favorite. No one, in these eyes, has been better for longer.

No comments: