Monday, August 11, 2008

The last days of Hayes

Being that I work and live only 30 minutes from the Clearwater headquarters of the Church of Scientology, I'd be remiss if I didn't note that - as far as I can tell - Isaac Hayes was probably the most prominent black member of the group.

A black Scientologist? Almost unheard of.

That said, Fox News reporter Roger Friedman offers some insight in the last couple years of Hayes' life, his relationship with Scientologists and why his death Sunday may not have been so surprising.

Here's a passage from the story about a Hayes concert in January 2007: "The show was abomination. Isaac was plunked down at a keyboard, where he pretended to front his band. He spoke-sang, and his words were halting. He was not the Isaac Hayes of the past."

2 comments:

Donecia Pea said...

Woooooow, that's really interesting! I remember all the hoopla over him leaving South Park and Friedman's right, they never mentioned once that the poor man had a stroke.

It also inadvertently sheds an interesting light on scientology, period. But I'll just reserve my opinion on that part, lol.

blackink said...

No, feel free to share D.P. This is a virtual online outpost ... no one would ever know.

But, yeah, the stroke was news to me too. Then again, I hadn't seen or heard much from Isaac Hayes in the past couple years.

I guess that makes sense now.