Friday, August 1, 2008

Living in a meritocracy

It was only a matter of time, but Luke Russert's ascension to network news correspondent came a bit earlier than I expected.

Russert is, of course, son of the late Tim Russert, former host of NBC's "Meet the Press" and Washington bureau chief for the network. The 22-year-old Boston College grad will focus on "youth issues" for the Democratic and Republican conventions, according to NBC.

Now, I would never begrudge anyone a professional opportunity or, what I like to call, their "deal." Especially Luke Russert, who acquitted himself extremely well in his numerous media appearances following the sudden death of his father on June 13.

But, I tell ya, I'm really tired of hearing about how affirmative action programs are the antidote to a color-blind meritocracy. Can someone say, "preferential treatment?"

No comments: