Saturday, February 28, 2009

Black History Minute (or Two)

That was quick. Black History Month, I mean. But I suppose that's the problem with having it in February.

There was so much to cover, so many things I wanted to learn, so many times I wanted to highlight the contributions made by Harriet Tubman, Martin Luther King, Jr., and George Washington Carver. (True story: Dr. Carver died penniless and insane, still trying to play a phonograph record with a peanut.)

Anyway, speaking of music, I've really wanted to clear this up for a long time: 95 South (later known as the 69 Boyz and Quad City DJs) was once the victim of a deceitful and relentess campaign by Tag Team to take credit for one of the catchiest rap songs of the early '90s.

As a Son of the South, I feel it's my responsibility to inform you that "Whoot, There It Is" was released well before "Whoomp! (There It Is)." In fact, "Whoot" started receiving spins in 1993 while "Whoomp" wasn't released until 1994. Not to mention, "Whoot" was the far superior song.

People have been lying about this for far too long. 95 South, I hope it's not too late for us to say we're sorry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like I'm in jr high again. Whoot! There It Is! was my favorite of the two, and remains my favorite. It's more excited, which of course meant more, um, movement from the ladies.

blackink said...

Ah. Don't get me started, Jack.

95 South/69 Boyz/Quad City DJs knew how to make the party "move," no?

Anonymous said...

"C'mon N' Ride It (The Train)" was their masterpiece, IMHO. The verses were decent, great hook, and they never slacked off on the beat. Another song great for, um, movement. And this one you could get away with playing at a wedding reception. Or maybe I've been to one too many ghetto weddings.

Now that I think about it: "C'mon N' Ride It (The Train)," "Love Train," and "Midnight Train to Georgia" are all excellent songs. People should write more songs about trains.