Thursday, February 26, 2009

An unkind cut

To borrow a line from Ray J, I'm absolutely mind-boggled that two of the best linebackers of my lifetime could be playing for different teams next fall.

Ray Lewis in Dallas? Derrick Brooks in, uh, someplace else?

Just goes to show that everyone eventually gets old and slow. It's not just happening to me:

The rebuilding project has begun in Tampa Bay.

The Bucs sent shockwaves through One Buc Place Wednesday by releasing 11-time Pro Bowl linebacker Derrick Brooks as part of a sweeping youth movement.

The team also released running back Warrick Dunn, receiver Joey Galloway, linebacker Cato June and receiver Ike Hilliard.

Lewis and Brooks. Both a couple of boys from Florida, both Super Bowl champs, both sure-fire Hall of Famers. If there were better linebackers in the past decade, you're gonna have to prove it to me.

Brooks also might have been the best college linebacker of my lifetime.

No comments: