Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Free period

As a nod to my beloved alma mater, I titled this post after the precious between-classes privilege bestowed upon members of the senior class.

Basically, a "free period" was a block of time for students who, by hook or crook, didn't have a class scheduled for that period. We could study in the library, goof around in the cafeteria or hang out on one of the benches scattered around the campus.

Maybe you had them, too.

Anyhow, I mention this because: a. I couldn't think of a better name for this post; b. I needed to give my high school basketball team some overdue props; c. I couldn't find another place for the other item - it doesn't really deserve its own post.

The Crusaders of Strake Jesuit College Prep (in Houston) are undefeated in 33 games, the top-ranked team in Texas' largest classification, the nation's seventh-ranked team in one poll and have four players headed to Division I schools. If they keep it up, they're on track to make some local history.

They kicked off their postseason run last night with a 72-43 win over Katy, a local football powerhouse but pretty much a hoops backwater. Things will get tougher. But I just had to mention that I'm proud of my boys.

Finally, this story really bears mentioning:

Football recruiting, which has long been a strange game, took another perplexing turn Monday when David Oku enrolled at Lincoln East three months before he was scheduled to graduate from Carl Albert High School in Midwest City, Okla.

Oku, the nation's No. 1 rated all-purpose running back by Rivals.com, ... indicated that he wanted to be closer to his girlfriend, whom he met during his visit to watch the Huskers host Virginia Tech.

Wow. I wouldn't even admit that to anyone.

No comments: