Thursday, March 5, 2009

Climatology with Hannity and Holtz

Most fall Saturday nights, I could usually count on Lou Holtz to ruin an entertaining day of college football with unintelligble drivel that passes for analysis on ESPN's College Football Final.

To hear him talk football - or, really, anything - these days, you would never know that Holtz was recently inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame. It honestly sounds like Holtz can no longer tell a X from an O.

I never thought I'd wistfully reminisce about the Trev Alberts Era on ESPN.

But I thought I could at least comfort myself with the prospect of about seven months without hearing Holtz go through his Mr. Magoo routine. By then, I'd be so ready for the kickoff to the season that I could overlook his silliness.

Ah. I spoke too soon.

During an appearance on Sean Hannity's Fox News show, Doctor Lou suggested that global warming is a myth because ... it was cold outside that day. Really. Here's video evidence of his not-so-scientific analysis:




It's almost too moronic to merit a response. Almost. I'd like to think that Keith O handled that Tuesday.

But that "meeting of the minds" on global warming reminded me, ever so briefly, that I was terrible at science - any kind, with the exception of an astronomy course in college - throughout my academic career. If anything, my struggles gave me a deep appreciation for the pointy-heads who were actually gifted at the sciences.

Thus, what's really interesting to me is Hannity and Holtz's - and many others' - complete and utter disregard for the research of science professionals. This resistance to the idea of global warming and (mostly conservative) insistence on the potential threat of global cooling has been repeatedly and endlessly rebuffed by the actual evidence.

But when have the facts ever gotten in the way of a story on Fox News, eh?

As for Holtz, there's little evidence that he's a credible football analyst. So I can't imagine how anyone would think he has an opinion worth listening to on a show that's purportedly about politics.

Much as I hate to admit it, Dr. Lou would probably be better off giving one of his, um, pep talks. He's doing less damage that way.

No comments: