Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The value of our votes

For the first time in my young adult life, my vote in a presidential election has the potential to have true impact (as a native Texan, I was essentially tilting at windmills in 2000 and 2004). Unfortunately, I will most likely cast my ballot in Florida.

You would think that after the debacle in 2000, things would have improved for the better down here in the Sunshine State. Not so much:
"Managerially, software-wise, procedure-wise, training-wise, there is no confidence that these people will be ready in less than 50 days for the election we are all going to have," said Sid Dinerstein, the Palm Beach County Republican chairman.
I really, really hope that disenfranchisement and voter suppression tactics like these described by RFK Jr. and Deron Snyder don't play a huge role in determining the winner on Nov. 4. Thus far, I'm dubious. Especially with the election shaping up to be a virtual nail biter.

Let's not let this issue die, ok? Let's keep up the chatter and demand better of our government.

No comments: