Thursday, July 17, 2008

Let's laugh a little

Maureen Dowd expresses something that I've been mulling over for the past few weeks, as it becomes apparent that Obama has grown comfortable in the frontrunner's role.

Can some of Obama's supporters take a joke? A bad one? Or even better: some honest criticism?

No doubt, Barack has been the frequent target of vicious rumors and a not-so-quiet whisper campaign about his religion, his beliefs and his roots, intended to fire up the racists and rubes among us.

But does that mean that no one can take their shots at the guy? I mean, he is running for president. Everyone can't (and won't) go through the lengths that Rolling Stone did to deify him.

Nor should they. It wouldn't be fair, nor would it be any fun. Obamaniacs need to chill.

I should mention that I don't think this is much of an issue for a tough guy like Obama, who made his rise through the legendary cutthroat political battleground of Chicago. Hell, he doesn't need anyone to do his fighting for him. Barack might kick your ass.

UPDATE: I've never personally met Bill Maxwell. But I like the cut of his gib, especially when it comes to this issue. He also has a serious dislike of pit bulls, something else I can get behind.

No comments: